Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Review of the Leominster Olive Garden

M's aunt gave us a very nice gift certificate to the Olive Garden for Christmas. Since that's around the time our local Olive Garden opened, we decided to hang back and let the crowds die down. Besides, my bro, who has worked in the restaurant industry quite a bit, says to give any new restaurant -- even a chain -- six months before trying it so the serving staff gets its act together.

Well, last night I was not feeling like cooking. I suggested to M we use our gift cert, since it probably wouldn't be too bad on a Monday night. And I was right. We breezed right in and were seated in the brand-new, warmly decorated Tuscan-themed dining room. We settled in to wait for our waitress. And there we sat. And waited. And waited.

Our waitress came over to take our drink orders and then promptly disappeared for almost 10 minutes. When she finally emerged with M's water and my Diet Coke, she fell all over herself apologizing for the wait and said she'd be back with our salad and soup. Almost 10 minutes later, she was back with that and some gnarly bread sticks.

I will say the meal picked up from there. I ordered the Chicken Giordarno with whole-wheat pasta, and M got the mixed grill. Our next order of bread sticks was much better, as was M's refill on his soup. The salad always rocks the house.

When our entrees finally came (another sizable wait), they looked fantastic. Only problem with mine: It was studded with peas. I HATE peas. I picked them out and went about my business. The dish was really fabulous, and I wound up eating more of it than I intended. M enjoyed his mixed grill but was disciplined enough to set half aside for the next day's lunch.

I was really full but jonesing for some cappuccino. I discovered, alas, that they only use 2 percent milk. So I skipped it. Besides, at that point M wanted to get the hell out of there, and I couldn't blame him. The bill came to about $30, which isn't bad, and left us a bit more on our gift certificate. I will say the waitress chased M across the restaurant when he forgot the lunch he had worked so hard to set aside.

Overall, I'd say they need to work out more of the kinks and pace the serving a bit more. Our waitress was excellent if not slow. The kitchen may have been holding her up. I will say that there are few healthy choices on the Olive Garden menu, but I would get my dish again -- this time with no peas. We like that place well enough for two Italians raised on our grandmas' food.

Labels: ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs