Saturday, April 28, 2007

Hometown Saturday

No, that's not the title of the latest John Cougar Mellencamp song. I went to see my parents today in good ol' Melrose. Been a long time since I've lived there (coming up on nine years), so it was amazing to me all the changes.

First of all, there's freaking condos everywhere. The bowling alley I played at every Saturday of my youth? Condos. The former McDonald's/Liberty Bell in Wakefield? Condos. There are condos in places that there really is no business being condos. Unbelievable.

Second of all: When did my hometown get so damn small? I was driving around looking for a cheap gas station, and I was just blown away at how just amazingly tiny everything looked. Don't get me wrong: Melrose is only four square miles, making it one of the physically smallest towns in the state, and it's dwarfed by Leominster's 35-plus square miles. It just seemed extra teeny.

Third of all: No offense to any Melrosians, but it's Central Mass for me all the way.

Labels: , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs