Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Random thoughts on the Virginia Tech tragedy

  • On American Idol: Chris Richardson using the moment after he'd sung to give a "shout out" to Virginia Tech made me physically ill. Way to use a horrifying situation to aggrandize yourself, my man.
  • Why didn't anyone step up and put the gunman away when he was clearly showing signs of being majorly disturbed? I'm not going to call him a nutjob, but he definitely had obvious issues. So much so that his teacher tutored him one-on-one, because he was scaring the other kids in the class. And you saw the "play" I linked to yesterday. Yeoww. Now they're saying he showed other warning signs.
  • Hey, Virginia Tech: Sending a fricking EMAIL when there's a mad shooter on the loose (two hours later!) is just the height -- or low point -- of how bad our nonconfrontational society has gotten. I understand they didn't want to cause a panic. But a little panic was maybe warranted.
  • Of course, today they went to the other extreme and called in a SWAT team for a bomb threat. I hope to God there are no copycat killings.
  • May the 33 killed (yes, I include the murderer) rest in peace.

Labels: , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs