Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The sounds of summer

I'm a huge music lover. I'll listen to anything, from hardcore gangsta rap to classical to disco. There are a bunch of songs, however, that just remind me of growing up on Boston's North Shore in the '80s. Here's a list and my memories. What are yours?

Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison: One of the first songs I slow-danced with a boy to (the first was Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven -- it was a weird dance). Such a mournful, overwrought song.

Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi: Said boy took me to the double-bill show of Bon Jovi and Skid Row, 1989. I still remember everyone singing along: "Whoooo, we're halfway theah, wooo-ooh, livin' on a prayah..."

All Cried Out by Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam: This one edged out Lost in Emotion, but just barely. I remember singing this at summer camp (yes, Camp Madaca) and thinking it was the saddest song EVA.

It Takes Two by Rob Base and DJ Ez-Rock: Whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo. Sounds like my family and I having breakfast on the porch while our neighbor blasted this by the pool.

Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams: The Madaca camp counselors used to play this song over and over and over and over on the bus on the way up to Wenham. I could probably sing this one in my sleep: "Got my first real six string, bought it at the five and dime..."

Labels: , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs