Tuesday, July 08, 2008

In the middle of the night

I don't always need to go walking in my sleep, but when I do, here's how it goes:

Baby cries and we (meaning usually me) hear it over the monitor.

Me: M, the baby's crying.

M: Mmmmmm

Me: Do you want me to get up, or are you getting up?

M: Well, whose turn is it?

(we negotiate, and one of us gets up)

I think honestly, the night waking thing is one of the hardest things about having a baby. You're so peacefully sleeping, and the night is pierced by this scared, hungry or lonely (or all of the above) cry. Do you let him cry it out? Do you get up? Sometimes he just snuffles in his sleep, and then he's back to snoring. But with Boo, when we do get him up, then all hell breaks loose and he starts howling.

I will say he's slept through the night for the past two nights. But it probably won't last -- he's still exhausted from our trip to Maine Sunday. That easily was the longest car ride he's ever taken, and it wore him out. He was not a happy camper going up or coming back.

Labels: , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs