Thursday, May 07, 2009

Bang goes the head

Toddler whack their heads a lot. This I know. But when it happens to your kid, especially the first time, it's freaking terrifying. Case in point: Boo's latest thing is to lean up against the door connecting the garage to the house, banging on it and waiting for us to come home. I came running into the house on Tuesday, trying to get a move on since M had a meeting and we still needed to eat dinner, and he was right behind the door. He went flying through the air and smacked the center of his forehead on the corner of my kitchen cabinet, bouncing backwards. What a sickening sight. I thought I was going to puke. M starts screaming at me, I start screaming in horror, and of course Boo is wailing away because he's scared and hurt. We get him up, look at his head and give him lots of hugs.

We keep an eye on him for the rest of the night, and being me, I'm convinced he has brain damage or something. He's a little wobbly on his feet, which is hard to evaluate because he's just learning to walk and is always wobbly on his feet. But he's acting fine and wolfs down the Cinco de Mayo taco we made for him, plus a whole bowl of ice cream. I keep him up past his normal bedtime, and he goes to sleep around 9:30. I think, it's all good in the 'hood.

Until he wakes up at 2 a.m. crying.

I run in there and cuddle him, and he quiets down. Then we all go back to sleep, and he starts crying again. It's now 4 a.m., and I call the doctor, who asks me the standard questions: Did he throw up? Did he pass out? Are his eyes glassy? Is he acting funny? Get him up and observe him walking. So I do, and he thinks it's playtime. At 4 a.m., he starts playing with his train. Oy. The night nurse isn't too concerned, but she suggests getting him checked in the morning.

So M puts him back to sleep, and I get the first appointment of the day. Doc is unfazed but says he has a bit of fluid in his ears from his cold that won't quit, and he's teething like a mutha. That's probably what woke him up. So I take him to school and feel like I'm going to fall asleep all day, prob because I still can't drink coffee and I've been up half the night worrying. I love my son, but I hate nights like that.

Happy Mother's Day!

Labels: , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs