Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The girlz of summer

There are certain associations that surround the summer months. The smell of grills wafting through the air. Cars parked halfhazardly in front of houses for the latest barbecue. This song ringing in your ears as the ice cream man winds his way through the neighborhood. And lately, the chitter-chatter of the girlz of summer.

There are about 10 of them, and I don't know who they belong to or where they're going. All I know is, I can hear them coming long before I see them cresting the hill, talking and laughing and sometimes even screaming. They come walking down my street every night around 8, completely oblivious to the commotion they are creating in that self-centered teenage girl way.

They annoy me. They make me smile. They remind me of me. Back when I was a girl of summer, running around with my friends, playing hide-and-go-seek after dark with the entire neighborhood until the mosquitoes ate you alive. Holding onto the mattress as hard as I could every night to hold onto summer, in a way, and not have to go back to school. So I envy them, too. And I want the endless summer to keep going on for them.
Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs