Tuesday, August 08, 2006

If I want help, I'll ask for it

Since it's so lovely out, I went for a little walk around the cute little downtown surrounding my workplace. It's full of secondhand stores and boutique-type emporiums. I do like to window shop, so I was enjoying the views. What I don't like is the pouncy salespeople in these places.

Now, granted, I'm sure it isn't easy to make a living as an independent shopkeeper in this Wal-Martized day and age. And I know they are probably going for a small-town shop kind of feel. Finally, if you've been browsing awhile, I can see the clerk thinking you might need help finding something. What aggravates me -- and almost makes me not want to go into these kinds of shops -- is the presumptive "can I help you???" as soon as you walk in the door. And it's not just mom-and-pop boutiques. It's the mall stores, too, like Bath and Body Works -- they are so irritating in there that I've taken to buying my body wash in Target. I almost want to ask them if they train them to be that annoying or if it comes naturally.

I have a mouth. If I wanted help, I'd ask. Let me browse in peace. Or I'll go somewhere else.

Can I get an amen?
Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs