Sunday, November 05, 2006

‘Your music sucks’

When I was away in college, I continued my fine tradition of blasting my music, all of my music – whether it’s classical, alterno, top 40, or the latest soundtrack or compilation I had to have. It was great for me to be in a cinder block-walled dorm room without my dad next door, storming over to mark off my radio to the acceptable level before he would complain. Back in those obnoxious, volume-superlative days, I went through a phase where I had the Pricilla, Queen of the Desert soundtrack on heavy rotation. In case you aren’t familiar with it, it’s a bunch of the kitschiest, campiest, crappiest songs you can imagine – just think of what a drag queen would sing in his/her act. I’m talking I’ve Never Been to Me by Charlene, I Love the Nightlife (Disco Round) by Alicia Bridges and Shake Your Groove Thing by Peaches and Herb. And those are the “good” tracks. Still, I blasted it happily, eating up the cheese for the deliciousness it was.

That was, until I walked out of my room one day to find the title of this post written on my memo board. I was pissed. I wrote back, “I don’t remember asking for your FUCKING opinion.” And I blasted it louder, adding in the baseline from White Zombie’s More Human Than Human for emphasis. What a freaking rebel.

Well, were I in college now, I would have something new to aggravate my neighbors. On Saturday, I made a Newbury Comics run, a store that never fails to amuse me with its Bush face toilet paper (at $10 a roll), South Park memorabilia and best of all, huge collection of used CDs for “wicked cheap.”

I picked up the new Weird Al album, the first Grey’s Anatomy soundtrack used and then began browsing the cheap compilations bin. I found the Rhino gem ’70s Party Classics (Killers). I had to get it. In case you don’t feel like clicking (but you really should, just to get a look at the CD cover art), here’s the lineup:

  • Tie A Yellow Ribbon ‘Round The Ole Oak Tree --Dawn
  • The Night Chicago Died -- Paper Lace
  • Billy, Don't Be A Hero --Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
  • (You're) Having My Baby -- Paul Anka with Odia Coates
  • Playground in My Mind -- Clint Holmes
  • Feelings --Morris Albert
  • Sometimes When We Touch -- Dan Hill
  • The Candy Man -- Sammy Davis, Jr.
  • Afternoon Delight -- Starland Vocal Band
  • Torn Between Two Lovers -- Mary MacGregor
  • Escape (The Pina Colada Song) -- Rupert Holmes
  • Muskrat Love -- Captain & Tennille

I gave it to M, not knowing if he’d give me crap for spending the money or laugh his ass off. He did the latter, and we spent the afternoon torturing each other with the shitty songs as well as quotes from the hysterically funny liner notes.

I have created a monster.

Labels:

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs