Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Observations on Vermont

We got back yesterday from a few restorative, wonderful days in the ski resort town of Stowe, Vermont, where we stayed here. If you're looking for something to do next weekend, I happen to have it on good authority they still have rooms left for Memorial Day weekend, and I would highly recommend it.

I unfortunately forgot my camera, which pissed me off immensely, but I have these sterling memories to keep me warm at night:
  • The entire state smells like cow manure. However, we saw surprisingly few cows, except for some that the farmer was apparently herding, because they were running so fast that they were actually kicking up their heels. I never saw cows run before.
  • People up there are incredibly nice. I don't know if it was because we were in a resort town, but we were blown away by the kindness we encountered everywhere we went.
  • Vermonters don't know the meaning of the word merge onto the highway. They just kind of barrel out there.
  • Vermonters also like to complain about taxes. We went to church on Sunday, and the pastor asked us where were from. When we told him, the first thing he asked was, "How are your taxes?" Yet we met someone in a restaurant who moved to Stowe from Boylston, Massachusetts, and they said their taxes were lower. I think it's just a topic of conversation.
  • Burlington is a helluva nice town. We really enjoyed walking around there and taking a cruise on Lake Champlain. We had dinner here.
  • I cannot believe how much nothing there is up there. It is both shocking and amazing at the same time.
  • I saw more Canucks (no offense meant -- I'm a quarter French Canadian myself) than I've ever seen in my life.
Good trip overall. I definitely want to go back.

Labels: , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs