Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Top 5 college albums

I've been digging out a lot of old music to play for Boo, so he is exposed to the good stuff. Lately I'm grooving on an old REM album in the car that I used to play nonstop in college. So that got me thinking about my top 5 albums that I practically wore out in those tender college years. Here they are, in no particular order, with links to Amazon in case you want to buy them yourself:

1) REM, Automatic for the People: My latest car ear worm. What a beautiful, soulful album. Every song is amazing, but check out The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite for a rocking good time.

2) Alanis Morissette, Jagged Little Pill: At last check, the best-selling debut album of all time. Another great album that you can leave on and clean your dorm room, study, get it on, whatever. So much more here than "You Oughta Know." Bonus: Check out the secret track.

3) Madonna, Bedtime Stories: This is me, so you know this had to be on here, right? This album is so different than her other stuff. It has a softer, more romantic feel. I think my college roomies wore out "Secret." For some trippiness, check out "Bedtime Story," written by Icelandic pop princess Bjork.

4) Madonna, Erotica: Such a dark, angry, twisted album. I used to sit in the dark and light candles and listen to this. Definitely her most underrated work.

5) MTV Buzz Bin, Volume 1: The Zen of Buzz Clips: So outside my usual genre of music, but I loved every track on this album. Introduced me to White Zombie ("More Human Than Human" is still my ultimate pissed-off soundtrack), Danzig and Cracker.

Labels: , , , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs