Sunday, November 11, 2007

Ah, look at all the freaky people

WARNING: Cranky preggo woman rant ahead.

M and I went out to dinner Friday night after we ran a baby-related errand. We went to a very cozy ethnic restaurant that I'd heard a lot about but never tried. Cozy, as in the tables are two feet away from one another. We ordered our food, chatted a bit about some personal stuff and then switched topics to something that's going on in my family. Just then, a woman and a young boy, maybe eight years old, were seated next to us.

The woman took an interest in us as soon as she sat down. She kept looking over at our table. Then she asked if I had any recommendations, and I told her what I'd ordered was really good. We chatted for a few minutes, and I mentioned I'm pregnant in the course of the convo. Then we clearly turned back to our own table and conversation.

Not this chickie. She spent the whole rest of the meal inviting whiplash as she blatantly listened in our conversation. I was getting really pissed off but continued on with the subject at hand, as this woman would have no idea who we were talking about. Finally, the check came, and M settled up. I muttered to him, "Let's get out of here," and he nodded, as he knew why I was getting pissy. She brightened and said, "Mazel tov! May everything go well." I gave her a tight smile and walked out.

OK, it was nice of her to say. But did she really have to listen in so intently? I mean, close quarters means you can't help but overhear, but do you have to be so obvious about it? A few people have told me about starting ridiculous conversations just to shock the eavesdroppers, but how would you have handled it?

Labels:

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs