Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Boy conversations

I was riding up on the elevator this morning with two guys. They were having an animated conversation about baseball. One of the guys was acting out a baseball swing, and the other guy was listening intently. Then they ran out of things to say and rode up the rest of the way in silence.

I'm no cultural anthropologist, but I totally see how sports is conversational currency to men. It's something bigger than the two people talking, and you can have a long conversation without saying a whole lot. The whole guys talking to one another thing came into focus for me when M went out with a bunch of female paralegals from his old place after work one day. He came home all excited: "They actually talked about stuff!" Um, yeah. Girls do that.

So what do you think? Are guys just programmed to keep it superficial? Is it a fear of intimacy?

Labels: , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs