Friday, August 29, 2003

Just read this on the CNN Web site about September 11, and it sent chills up my spine:

www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/08/28/excerpts.9-11.transcripts.ap/index.html

I remember where I was that day. I was driving into work, and I'd only been with my current company for about a month and a half at the time. On my morning show, they were joking around like they always do, and the traffic lady cut in and said, "A plane has hit the World Trade Center in New York. There are some scary pictures here."

My first thought was that it was an accident. Then I got into work and the girl who sat next to me had a radio on and they said that a second plane had hit the second tower. I knew something was going on.

I called M, who I was engaged to at the time, and told him what happened. He was pretty shocked. Then I got called into a meeting since we had a visitor from our German office that wanted to brief us on doings there. People weren't showing up because they were down in our lunch room watching the TV, which gets CNN only. A lady came in and said a plane had hit the Pentagon. It was all very hysterical, and information came in drips and drabs. Our German visitor wound up not being able to get home for a week, since his flight home to Germany was supposed to leave on September 12.

The actual day, September 11, 2001, was the worst day. No one could get any work done. I got a call from my mom asking me if I was ok. I spent most of that day on the phone with my family, making sure everyone was safe. I e-mailed my college roommate, who worked across the street from the WTC. Her office got moved to Jersey, but she didn't even see anything because her windows faced the other way. I just felt shocked, numb, scared and angry, all at the same time.

During the week after, I remember driving to work every morning, seeing all the flags from the houses and buildings and all along the sides of the road, and listening to talk radio where people called and let all their sadness and rage and frustration. I really think September 11 was our generation's Kennedy assassination. The shock waves lasted for years, it brought everyone together, and you always remember where you were.

A guy in my high school, who was a year ahead of me, worked for one of the investment firms there and was killed. I didn't know him personally, but I knew of him. A guy M went to high school was in there, too. Here in New England, we have lots of ties to New York City.

My parents went to Ground Zero afterwards. They said it was haunting and eerie. Personally, I understand what happened; I don't have to see it for myself.

Labels: , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs