Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson memories

"Beat it, no one likes to be defeated..."


"If you're thinking of being my baby, it don't matter if you're black or white..."


"And my momma always told me, be careful who you love, be careful what you do, because the lies become the truth..."


"And if you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change..."

So much has been said about Michael, especially well-written in this post from my friend Dan and this one from SonicClash. But in some ways, I feel like words aren't enough at a time like this. Yes, he was a weirdo. Yes, he was wildly inappropriate with young boys -- and no, I would not let my son have a sleepover at his house. But he was also a genius. He helped define my childhood in the '80s. My son will never understand his influence and stardom, because by the time he came along, MJ was a freakshow whose talent was ebbing.

But how can you top Thriller?

The Pepsi commercial?

Bubbles the chimp?

Neverland?

A tortured genius taken too soon. Sleep well, Michael Jackson. Maybe in the next life you'll find peace.

Labels: , , , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs