Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The wait for Jon and Kate

So I admit: I had never heard of Jon and Kate Plus 8 until all the tabloid headlines. I'm not a big TV person, and the only thing I ever watched on TLC was Trading Spaces and maybe a few epis of What Not to Wear. But since they've become such a pop culture phenom, I figgered I better tune in. I checked out the season premiere and found it boring except for the drama. I hadn't watched it since, until this big announcement. Yes, boys and girls, Jon and Kate have filed for divorce (as TLC put on the screen in white letters on a black background, like someone died or something).

I found Monday's episode painful to watch. I've been married for seven years, been with the hubby for going on 10, and living with him for nine of those years. I adore him and he me, but marriage can be rough. Throw a kid into the mix, and it puts a strain on even the best marriage. Throw in eight kids in three years...well, I can barely fathom it. So I cringed when they talked about the dissolution of their union. I can't even imagine and hope I never have to. I have to say, I feel for those kids, because they are the ones who are going to suffer. Jon and Kate will move on and meet new people; they will forever be the products of a broken home.

So now they are on hiatus until August. I think that is wise. Honestly, they have a lot of stuff to work out, and I for one don't want to see it. Some things need to be private, even for reality show stars. I hope they -- and all those kids -- come out of this OK. Even though I think Jon and Kate are whores.

Labels: , , , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs