Friday, June 17, 2005

Dancing and my vacation

I still need to see "Napoleon Dynamite." I've heard all about the dancing he does in it, and this video illustrates it.

I wrote a blog post for the Monster Blog about my vaca but decided to go with the more topical post about what my dad taught me about work. (Here it is.) Anyway, I thought I would post the vaca blog here about the various injuries we sustained:

On Wednesday, I returned to the office after six days in the Tampa area. I went down for my dear cousin’s wedding. I’m one of 11 grandchildren on my dad’s side, and we all grew up together -- my cousin is only four months younger than me. I wouldn’t have missed her wedding for the world. This event was also an excuse for my husband and me to extend our trip. We both switched jobs in September, within a week of each other, and we hadn’t had a break together since last Labor Day weekend.

My cousin lives in Chicago but grew up in Florida, so she wanted to get married on the beach at sunset. Tropical Storm Arlene smacked into the area the day before the wedding, pelting us with rain and stirring up strong winds and tall waves as well as doubts about whether she’d be able to get married outside. Thankfully, the next day was beautiful, so she got her wish. Beforehand, my sun-starved family and I hit the beach. I warned my husband that the sun in Florida is more intense than it is in New England, so he should reapply sunscreen often, but he didn’t listen. He burned his legs so badly that I watched him for sun poisoning for the rest of the trip. His sunburn also spelled the end of our beach going.

The day after the wedding, my parents, my husband and myself decided to go out to breakfast, then to a local mall. We stopped at my parents’ hotel, and I got out of the car and slammed the door. Suddenly, I heard a scream. My mom’s fingers were in the car door. Thankfully, they were just bruised. We went to my parents’ hotel room and hung out so my husband could rest his legs and my mom could put some ice on her sore hand. We wound up having a wonderful talk, something we rarely have time to do, as my parents live 40 miles away from us.

My husband is more of a lake person than one for the ocean, so we decided to head 45 minutes north from the beaches to Tarpon Springs, located on the shores of Lake Tarpon, for the rest of our trip. It’s a great place, and the best of both worlds, since the ocean is just 10 minutes away. At our hotel, I took the stairs and my husband took the elevator to see which was faster. I slipped on the way up and sprained my ring finger. I promptly called my mom and told her my hand was hurting, too. She laughed and said she’d gotten a nasty paper cut on the hand I hadn’t slammed in the car door.

You anticipate a vacation for so long, and when it finally comes, you expect it to be perfect. Even though this one had some rough spots, we adjusted, and we had a wonderful trip overall. And I came back to work refreshed and full of energy. I learned a few things, too. For example, check the car door before you slam it. And always wear sunscreen.
Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs