Saturday, April 24, 2010

Proxy wars

(RANT MODE ON)

I tend to be a pretty nonconfrontational person. I mostly hate fighting, and I don't like to be in explosive emotional situations. So you can imagine how I feel about how people talk to each other (or about each other) on the Internet. (Of course, the nonconfrontational tendencies are exactly why people talk smack on the 'net.)

The writer of one of my favorite blogs, Waiterrant, said it best:

The idea of the “chattering classes” isn’t the sole provenance of political pundits anymore. It’s a big part of the Internet as well, whether it’s Twitter, Facebook, My Space, forums on topics big and small or the comments section on blogs like mine. Most people leave thoughtful, well written messages that make sense and contribute to the spirit of civil debate. But for a segment of the population the Internet provides them with an opportunity to finger-paint with their psychological feces.

In the past few days, I've become aware of some serious trash-talking on the Internet. I'm not going to go into more detail, because I don't want to start a proxy war of my own, but seriously? You can't say it to my face (or you don't even know me), you're going to post it online? As Rodney King said, can't we all just get along?

(RANT MODE OFF)

Labels:

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs