Monday, January 24, 2005

Lots of random brain dumps

According to Jeannette Walls's The Scoop:

Good news for those who hold out hope for long-lasting love: Oddsmakers are guessing that the Trump marriage will make it at least until the end of the year. BetWWTS.com has released odds on Donald Trump or his bride, Melania, filing for divorce by Dec. 31, and the offshore gaming company believes it’s a long shot of 4/1 (i.e., win $4 for every $1 bet). The company lists the likelihood of the new couple remaining married as an overwhelming favorite at 1/6 odds (i.e., win $1 for every $6 bet).

Ya know, Trump doesn't exactly have the best track record with women and marriage. But from what I hear, Melania signed a prenup with no hesitation, indicating to me she wants to be with him, money or no. They've been together five years. I would think he really loves her to jump into marriage after two divorces. Look, I'm not totally naive. Would she be with him if he were a janitor? Probably not. Would he be with her if she weren't drop-dead gorgeous? Ditto. Still, I like to think of myself as believing in love and not so cynical. Good luck to them. As I've learned, marriage can be hard work. But it's incredibly rewarding, and I applaud anyone who can make it long-term.

BTW, every time I hear that expression (I applaud whatever), I think of that South Park episode where they have the cartoon Clinton saying:

"My fellow Americans, I wish to address the concerns many of us have over the growing number of Japanese military bases forming in the United States. The new Japanese emperor, Hirohito, has made our own children into fighter pilots who will soon fly to Hawaii and attack Pearl Harbor. I spoke with Mr. Hirohito this morning, and he assured me that I have a very large penis. He said it was mammoth, dinosauric, and absolutely dwarfed his penis, which, he assured me, was nearly microscopic in size. My penis, he said, was most likely one of the biggest on the planet. I applaud Mr. Hirohito in his honesty. Thank you."

My favorite quote of today (and now my email sig)?

"These Patriot playoff wins are like Ray Charles songs, Nantucket sunsets and hot fudge sundaes. Each one is better than the last."

-- Dan Shaughnessy, Boston Globe, January 24, 2005

Labels: , ,

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs