Wednesday, January 12, 2005

My, How I've Grown...Or Not

I was thinking about movies I really dig. I dug up a project I did in college that basically was a book about me. In it, I made a list of my favorite movies. In 1996, they were:

  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Sound of Music
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • Ghost
  • Malcolm X
  • Dances with Wolves
  • The Lion King
  • Forrest Gump
  • Die Hard 2: Die Harder
  • Terminator 2
Goodness gracious, woulja like some froth on that latte? Other than the Malcolm X choice (which I may watch again in honor of MLK Day Monday) and Dances with Wolves, pretty fluffy list.

OK, now I'm a grown woman. I'm 31 years old. I own a home and am a college graduate. I'm married and have been working full-time for almost nine years. I'm seriously contemplating starting a family. And we're not filthy rich, but I'm more well-off than the starving college student that wrote the lines above.

So what are my favorite movies now?

  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Sound of Music
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • Funny Girl
  • Citizen Kane
  • A Christmas Story
  • Ghost
  • The Shawshank Redemption
  • The Green Mile
  • Cast Away

Honorable mentions:

  • In & Out (if only for the fucking fabulous dialogue)
  • Young Frankenstein (hysterical)
  • Blazing Saddles (another Mel Brooks classic)
  • This Is Spinal Tap (more great quotes)

Yeah, I saw more movies, but the classics remain among my favorites. The other day I went to Circuit Shitty and bought a whole bunch o' DVDs: Eddie Murphy Raw, The Godfather (never seen it) and Trading Places (even more great quotes).

I think I've grown up a lot. But some things are just classics and are forever loved.

Labels:

Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs