Thursday, April 07, 2005

I WILL have a good day, dammit

Thank goodness for my sense of humor. A guy I dated in college told me, "The great thing about you is, you think everything is funny." Sometime, all you can do is laugh. As a friend from the old job says, "You know how they say you'll look back on this and laugh? Might as well start now."

It's come to me in the past few days that I need to stop playing the "poor me" role and take some responsibility for having good days, both in and out of work. If something shitty happens, I need to make sure something good happens, too. In other words, rather than embrace the "have a nice day" ethic, I need to "make it a good day." Long ago, I used to reflect on one good thing that happened during the day. I stopped doing that, and perhaps I need to start again. Changing your attitude is so fucking hard, man. Thoughts become behaviors, but when the thoughts have been a part of you so long, it becomes difficult to reverse them. It's like smoking or another bad habit -- you do it so long, it makes a groove in your brain. The groove gets deeper and deeper until it becomes a canyon, and you can't see over the top anymore. For example, my father-in-law will be 70 this month, and he's been smoking since he was a teen. Can you imagine how deep the smoking groove is in his brain? He's tried and tried to quit, but he just can't.

Anyway, the weather is gorgeous, and I'm actually wearing short sleeves for the first time in a long time. I will need to go out at lunch, even if it's just for 10 minutes.

When I got home last night, M was spreading fertilizer on our lawn, and he was pretty upset. His boss pushed him on something he's sensitive about, and he threatened to quit. Bossman realized he'd gone too far and backed off. I warned him not to play that card too often, but good for him for saying something. His boss can be a major jerk.
Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs