Sunday, May 01, 2005

Kids!

Last night, we went to see friends of M's who have a 2-year-old. He's a beautiful, smart kid, but you have to watch him every second. He was pulling things off shelves and sticking his hands everywhere. Made me tired just being around him. Where do they get the energy?And when I say "they," I mean both him and his mom and dad for keeping up with him. Every time his mom suggested it might be bedtime, the tyke responded with, "No bed." So he continued to stay up and got more and more tired. His dad, M's friend since college, said bedtime is a nightly struggle in that house.

Ah, I remember the days of "Just one more glass of water, please." Going to bed used to create such anxiety for me. I was terrified of the dark, of being alone with my thoughts. My current bout of insomnia has reawakened that fear. I recently decided to go back on a low dose of my meds to smooth over the anxious hole I've dug for myself. I'm upset about it, because I feel like I should be able to cope with my anxiety on my own. But realistically, this has been a problem for 20-plus years, and it's not going to resolve overnight. I have to work more at it, and I will. Gotta use the old overthink brain for good instead of evil.
Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs