Tuesday, August 30, 2005

We have a diagnosis

It's been a nutty couple of days. Let me recap.

M was feeling crappy as hell on Friday night. Saturday he woke up feverish and feeling like shit. We went out to do some errands, then we came home so he could watch the game. Suddenly he started screaming that he needed me, because he was having violent chills. I took his temp: 103. I called the covering doc, and had just finished taking his temp: 104. He suggested I take him to the ER. When they got there, his temp was 105. They thankfully decided to admit him, and I believe it saved his life. While the treatment he got at our local hospital left something to be desired IMHO -- they basically treated his fevers with Tylenol -- they moved him to the ICU, where he had a spinal tap (major yuck-o) and was watched carefully. They were going to transfer him to UMass Memorial, but he seems more stable now -- his temp is down, and his blood cell counts are up. I still don't believe he's out of the woods, but yesterday I really thought my husband, the man I love, was going to die. And I can't even put into words how terrifying that was. The nurse gave me a hug and was very kind. His parents were a mess. We've been through hell. But now at least we know what he has: Systematic lupus with central nervous system involvement. And we can begin treatment. I thank God in the sky that my husband is still here. And I slept with his dirty shirt last night because it smelled like him.

Sorry this post is so disjointed -- I'm exhausted, and there's a lot of ground to cover. I'll post more later. In the meantime, I'm doing the Lupus Walk in Boston in October. If you'd like to sponsor me, visit my donation Web site.
Overthink
Made by My Cool Signs