100 things about me
1. I am only 4’11”.
2. I wish I were just a few inches taller. Maybe then I wouldn’t be so overweight.
3. I was tiny until I hit school age. Then I porked out. I’ve been fighting with my weight ever since.
4. I have a killer sweet tooth.
5. I am an introvert who is often mistaken for an extrovert.
6. On the Myers-Brigg Personality Scale, I am an INFJ – the most rare personality type.
7. I have suffered from depression, anxiety and OCD since I was eight years old. I believe I have a chemical imbalance in my brain.
8. I keep all three under control with medication, which for years I fought taking but now can’t imagine living without.
9. I’ve tried going off my meds twice and got depressed both times. I won’t be trying that again.
10. I have seen one therapist or another off and on since age eight.
11. I was hospitalized for depression in 1985.
12. I was 11 years old.
13. You do the math as to how old I am now.
14. I learned to read when I was three years old and have consistently read at several grade levels higher than my age.
15. I was born old, in more ways than one.
16. I grew up in a suburb of Boston, where I spent my entire childhood that I remember.
17. We moved there when I was three from the town next door.
18. I have owned two cars on my own.
19. Both of them were/are American.
20. Never again.
21. I totaled the first one because I wasn’t paying attention and rearended a Jeep.
22. I loved that car.
23. I used the insurance settlement to buy my current car, which was the first year on a new model.
24. Let me say it again: Never again.
25. I love dogs.
26. I love all animals, actually.
27. My dream pet is a chocolate lab named Cocoa.
28. We had a dog for a short period (two months), but we had to rehome her because of my allergies.
29. I’m not sure my husband has ever forgiven me.
30. I also had a cat I had to rehome when I was a kid.
31. I am allergic to dogs, cats, feathers, dust, mold, grass, shellfish and pollen.
32. I am not allergic to cows, rabbits or Koupuc (a comforter stuffing).
33. I married my husband M in June 2002.
34. We lived together for almost two years before that.
35. I have never loved anyone the way I love him, and I never wanted to marry any other guy I ever dated.
36. I thought all my previous relationships would just fade away.
37. Writing makes me feel alive.
38. So does editing.
39. I have been a reporter, editor, Web editor, nonprofit publication specialist, industry analyst and copy editor (my current gig).
40. I went to Syracuse University and graduated in 1996 with a degree in newspaper journalism.
41. Despite my degree, I have never worked at a newspaper for money besides freelancing.
42. I’m not always great about keeping up with the news.
43. I have a tendency to push the limits.
44. I also have a tendency to have a big mouth.
45. I often think I talk too much.
46. I get nervous around people until I know them well -- and sometimes even after.
47. I wish I were better at confrontation.
48. I think it’s endlessly cool that I know what the subjunctive verb tense is in English.
49. I am a textbook Sagittarius and believe in astrology.
50. My generosity and graciousness are two of my best qualities.
51. Two of my worst are my impatience and control-freak tendencies.
52. I tend to be naïve, too trusting and very gullible.
53. I’m also highly literal and tend to mishear song lyrics as what I phonetically hear the singer say.
54. I don’t do well with bullshit.
55. I can’t lie.
56. I hate people who do.
57. Although I try not to hate anyone.
58. I like to talk about myself.
59. I hate being excluded and go out of my way not to do it to others.
60. I wish I were better at blogging every day.
61. I wish I had more friends, but I’m shitty at making them.
62. Books and bowling are two of my passions.
63. Yes, I am a nerd.
64. I tend to use the same expressions over and over.
65. I’ve often been called a gay man trapped in a woman’s body.
66. I adore Barbra Streisand, show tunes and Madonna.
67. My favorite movie of all time is Beauty and the Beast. I saw it four times in the movie theater in its theatrical release and own it on both VHS and DVD.
68. I was born and raised Catholic and strongly believe in God, but I’m not so sure about religion.
69. I have one brother. He got married almost a year to the day after I did.
70. I live more than 40 miles from where I grew up, in a town I never dreamed I’d live in.
71. I have a lazy streak.
72. I think this is fun.
73. I love owning a home.
74. I adore working in my yard.
75. Saturday is the best day of the week.
76. I probably think about work much more than I should when I’m not there.
77. Due to my anxiety, it’s impossible for me to work at home full time.
78. That’s OK with me --I like the compartmentalization of home in one place, work in another.
79. I think I’m good at my job.
80. It pisses me off when people don’t work as hard as I do.
81. The best vacation I ever took was a week in Italy with my husband, even though no one spoke English and I barely speak Italian.
82. I love the ocean and the stars.
83. I have an almost unhealthy obsession with the moon.
84. I tend to get tired easily.
85. I’m very healthy, but I have asthma, and I tend to get sinus infections a lot.
86. I’m way too hung up on what other people think.
87. I wish I didn’t care.
88. I adore iced coffee and Diet Coke.
89. I shouldn’t drink so much caffeine.
90. I didn’t enjoy my honeymoon much. We ran around too much and should have relaxed more.
91. That’s a good analogy for my life in general.
92. I overanalyze situations and people and even my own motives.
93. I want to be smarter.
94. Injustice makes me furious.
95. There are several people from my past I’d go back and punch if I could, but I’d also like to punch myself for not standing up to them.
96. I love movies, and when I was single, I used to watch many more of them than I do now.
97. I spent way too much money on entertainment in general back then.
98. As I get older, I find I enjoy cleaning more and more.
99. I don’t get grossed out cleaning the bathroom.
100. Sometimes I want a child, and sometimes I don’t.